Pages

A birthday wish for her...

"Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives." ~John Galsworthy


I can't believe that 10 years ago today my best friend was born...time sure does get away from you when you're busy making plans and living life. It honestly feels like just the other day I was sitting on the living room floor of Cary's house after a long day at work and wondering what I had gotten myself in to.

Puppies were climbing, barking, and making the most adorable fools of themselves.
The situation lent itself to the idea of heaven for most dog lovers.
There was nothing that I could do but soak it all up!

Cary, Elka's breeder, wasn't your run of the mill kind of guy. He is special and holds a sincere love and devotion to those he cares for...especially GSD's. From what I can recall he had adopted Elka's mother, Berlin, along with Elka's father, Kodiak, and two other adult GSD's from a reputable breeder whom was looking to retire. Not knowing that Berlin was "with child/puppies" Cary agreed to take all four of the big dogs under his wing and give them the best life possible. By now, you can logically grasp what happened in the following months.

He found that his once quiet home had quickly become over run with these bouncing and biting bundles of joy...and all anyone could do was smile and laugh because no other reaction was fitting or possible.
It was chaos and unbridled love rolled into one...

While I found myself sitting on that living room floor, and trying my best to come to a "logical" decision about a new found companion, it hit me..."How in the world was I going to be responsible enough to care for another life when I could barely take care of myself?". Yes, I had a great job and a super cute place to call my own but how in the heck would I be able contribute to an animal that would surely surpass my mental acuity before their first birthday?
I thought I'd be sunk for sure...

That's when it happened. I finally made my choice on an adorable petite female pup that wore a thin grey ribbon around her neck. She seemed quite spirited and very well versed in projecting the "cuteness personified" look. However, Cary had someone else in mind. He insisted that the puppy with the thin gray ribbon wasn't for me. Instead, he passed over a rolly-polly black clump of fur that wore a thick green ribbon all while voicing his conviction about his choice for me. He said "this is the dog for you.". Up to this point I'd only spent about 2 hours total with Cary before that fateful evening. Now, here he was handing over this furry lump of dog that didn't seem the least bit interested in me and asserting that she belonged in my life. Never the less, my gut allowed me to trust Cary almost instantly upon our first meeting so the decision was pretty much already made. It seemed to us both that Elka had chosen me even though I hadn't originally chosen her.
This proved to be one of the most pivotal moments in my life
and by far one of the best examples of trust I'd ever allowed.
I knew from that moment on, my little world
was going to get a whole lot more interesting.

Looking back on that day, I couldn't have dreamt for a more perfectly matched companion. Nor could I have aspired to learn as much as what she taught me. She forced me to become a better person and made me realize more about life and love than I will ever admit to a single soul. She was my partner and my professor for almost 10 years and I honestly wouldn't change any of it. (Except for the obvious limitation on our time together.)

My birthday wish for Elka is that I hope I was able to teach her at least a fraction of what she taught me while we were a team of two.

She was breathtaking, defiant, compelling, and loyal to the very end. Happy Birthday my sweet friend. You are missed beyond expression.

Berlin's Angel Elka Hearthaus
April 5, 2000 - November 28, 2009

1 comment:

  1. I saw something in the puppy to be called Elka that seemed like she was picking you and just needed to borrow my voice so you could see and respond to her request to take her home.

    The other pup may have been cuter, although at 4-5 weeks all GSD puppies are still mostly black, so it is hard to tell what they will look like in a year, but her energy did not seem directed at you and was more into doing her own thing. On the other hand, Elka knew you were her soul mate.

    In response to your perception that I did not seem the least bit interested in you, methinks I protested too much. I thought you were amazingly beautiful, inside and out. Still do. There, I said it. But, as I recall, you were with your boyfriend at the time. What was I to do? After your breakup and over the years I knew you had some tough times.

    Fast forward to that fateful night where Elka could not understand that her body was failing her and where I had the rare privilege to say goodbye to one of "my" pups just as I was there to help deliver and welcome her to our world, crying both times, but now from grief rather than joy. Dax and I were sitting in the lobby at the vet school. I was about to tell him what I am about to write now, but was interrupted when someone came into the lobby and called him back to the exam room, then I never had a chance afterwards. I was going to tell him that I had always hoped you would find a knight in shining armor, someone who would love and cherish you the way I felt you deserved...and I am glad that he was him.

    ReplyDelete